Flapjacks for the Teenagers.
It’s back to school tomorrow so I have the usual head scratching of what to put in their Lunchboxes, thankfully our eldest (Jack) has now finished school & will hopefully be starting Collage in a couple of weeks, but that still leaves Alex, Meg & Amber in High school & I’m pretty sure they are as bored of eating packed lunches as I am of making them. Their day to day diet isn’t the best, so in a bid to get something healthy into their diet I’ll be making Flapjacks & without telling them I’ll be adding Linwoods ‘Flaxseed & Goji berries’ & ‘Flaxseed with probiotic & Vitamin D’ both a great source of Omega 3 & Fibre. So of course the trade off is that there’s lots of sugar in Flapjacks but hey-ho there is not much of our kids so I don’t think a bit of sugar is going to do them any harm, at least it’s homemade and made with lots of TLC.
So, lets start with the Ingredients:
150g Unsalted Butter
120g Golden Syrup
150g Soft Brown Sugar
350g Rolled Oats
45g Linwoods Flaxseed with Probiotic & Vitamin D
45g Linwoods Flaxseed & Goji Berries
Pinch of Salt
12″ x 9″ Baking Tin, lined with Parchment paper
The Oven gets preheated to 200C/Fan 180C/400F/Gas 6
1. Measure the butter, syrup and sugar into a saucepan, place over a low heat until the butter has melted and the mixture is blended.
2. Measure the Oats & both Flaxseed into a large bowl with the pinch of salt.
3. Pour the Butter/syrup/sugar into the large bowl containing the Oats and mix well.
4. Spoon the mix into the lined baking tin and firmly press the mixture down with the back of a tablespoon.
5. Bake in your preheated oven for 12-15 minutes.
A couple of tips to making a good Flapjack is to make sure you press the mix into the tin firmly & to use a good Parchment paper, as I’ve used cheap in the past & the paper has stuck to the flapjack & ruined it.
I score the Flapjack while it is still warm in the tin & then leave it to cool on a wire rack.
It’s a big hit with the Teenagers of the house, & hopefully there will be enough left for their Lunchboxes this week.